Veterans Resources

For any assistance involving the VA, please call my Belleville office at (618) 212-7333 or my Washington, DC office at (202) 225-2371.

General Resources
Veterans Crisis Line: Dial 988 and then press 1
Women Veterans Call Center: 1-855-829-6636
VA Benefits Home: 1-877-222-8387
Contact IDVA: 1-800-437-9824
Find a local VSO: This link

The PACT Act And Your VA Benefits | Veterans Affairs

The VA has toll free numbers for the convenience of veterans and dependents.
Benefits Information

Life Insurance

Debt Management

Mammography Hotline

Tele. Dev. for Deaf (TDD)



Gulf War Helpline

Sexual Trauma Hotline

What are the types of VA claims?
There are Four Types of claims:

  1. Original Claim: The very first claim for disability benefits compensation or pension) filed by a veteran. All original claims must be filed on VA Form 21-526.
  2. Claim for increase: A claim for increased compensation for a disability already found to be service-connected.
  3. New Claim: A claim for compensation for a disability not part of the original claim. Also known as a supplemental claim.
  4. Reopened Claim: A claim asking for reconsideration of an issue previously considered and finally disallowed by VA (after more than one year has passed). The type of claim determines how much development is required by VA and/or the nature of the supporting evidence the veteran must submit in support of the claim. The processing time for a claim varies depending on the type of claim and the supporting evidence provided by the veteran

How do I get a VA home loan?
There are 5 steps to get a VA Loan:

  1. Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility. A Veteran who doesn’t have a certificate can obtain one by filling out and sending the VA Form 26-1880, Request for Determination of Eligibility and Available Loan Guaranty Entitlement, to the local VA office.
    Department Of Veterans Affairs
    575 N. Pennsylvania Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    Phone 1-800-827-1000
  2. Decide on a home the buyer wants to buy and sign a purchase agreement
  3. Order an appraisal from VA. (This is usually done by a lender.)
  4. Apply to a mortgage lender for the loan. While the appraisal is being done, the lender can be gathering credit and income information. If the lender is authorized by the VA to do automatic processing, upon receipt of the appraised value determination, the loan can be approved and closed without waiting for VA review of the credit application. For loans that must first be approved by VA, the lender will send the application to the local VA office, which will notify the lender of its decision.
  5. Close on loan and you move in!

How Do I Get a Copy of My Military Records?
For copies of your military service records you may contact:
National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100

What would I do if my records were destroyed in the 1973 fire?
You may contact the National Personnel Records Center at:
National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100

You can also find out the status of your records by phone at the following numbers:
Army Records: (314) 538-4261 For service during 1912 – 1959
Air Force Records: (314) 538-4243 For service during 1964 – Present, 1947 – 1963 (for individuals with the last names of A through Hubbard, James D.)
Air Force Records: For service during 1947 – 1963 (for individuals with the last names after Hubbard, James D.) contact Air Force Records at (314) 538-4261
Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Records: (314) 538-4141

How Can I Get Replacement Medals?
You can request replacement for lost or stolen medals from the National Personnel Records Center or write to:
National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100
Chief Military Awards Branch
Military Personnel Branch
Hoffman Building #2
200 Stovall Street
Alexandria, VA 22332